Sunday, February 24, 2013

“From knowledgeable to knowledge-able”


 Extended comment….
From knowledgeable to knowledge-able by Wesch was a very powerful presentation. And I completely with what he is saying. Society has set up these institutions called school which a lot of these institutions are mostly created for students to sit and “learn” This type of environment is not necessarily the proper way or the most effective way to learn. “If students learn what they do…what are they doing sitting here?” “here” meaning in  the class room. I find that so true, As I stated in the comment that I left on Noelle’s page, I am a student that needs to be interested in what I am being taught, if I’m not it becomes a big problem, I no longer want anything to do with what I am attempting to learn. I am the type that will not go to class if my interest is lost, and most of the time I have to buckle down to do what I have  to do to pass my class. But I am the type of student that loves learning hands on, the best way for me to learn is to actually get out there and apply myself. There is a time and a place for the classroom but I believe all our time shouldn't be spent there. I don’t think that we should spend our time and money on the majority of professor who don’t even care whether we pass or fail the class, professor who don’t even show interest in us student, and even professor/teachers that want to stick with the old way of teaching. Don’t get me wrong there are professors who care and and are willing to take that step and make their class interactive and applicable but there’s only a few out there. Not only getting out there and doing but also bringing in things like technology to interest students more. We are a media and technology driven people so it only makes sense that these type of things get brought in to help teach. That’s why I really enjoy professors Bogads class. She understands this and has brought in media and other things that are relevant to help us understand what she is trying to teach us. Not only is she involving technology in her lessons but she gives us an opportunity to speak out minds freely on the subjects of the class. She doesn't stand and lecture for 2 hours but she engages her students. It’s time we stop using and looking at media so negatively and tap into the positive.  We can start this in the school system, instead of trying to resist something that has become so dominant that it’s taking over, lets fight to turn this into something beneficial and not to mention FUN!  

2 comments:

  1. I think that you captured a very important aspect of the text this week, it is not just about the media, but it is about connecting with students. teacher's who stand at the front of the class room and just talk, do not engage their students. But teachers who encourage discussion and participation, are always the best professors. And it's when those professors incorporate media that the class can easily become a favorite.
    I think that is what Wesch is trying to do: revolutionize our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you say that you are a student that needs to be interested in what they are being taught. Far to often students myself included zone out in class because it is not engaging or fun. We want to learn but teachers need to embrace the new age so we can.

    ReplyDelete