Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Tangle of discourses: Girl Negotiating Adolescence” by Raby


While reading, so much was coming to my mind because there was so much information that was being read but “A Tangle of discourses: Girl Negotiating Adolescence” by Raby , kept bring me back to guiding assumptions that was addressed the first few day of class. In particular I thought about the category “Teenagers are not some alien life form”. There is a section in this piece on page 440 that talks about teens being stereotyped as being moody, emotional or going through a phase. She actually asks one of the girls (Jess) that she interviews what she thinks of that stereotype and the girl actually agreed with that statement. In all actuality I can say that being moody does not depend on you being a teenager it depends on what kind of personality you have in general and also what kind of things you are going through. I am 24 years old and I find myself moody all the time. I passed that stage of being a teenager a very long time ago so what will that make me? She talks about being in a bad mood like that's a mood that only teens go through, in don't think that a person would ever grow out of being moody or being in a bad mood. Some might experience these emotions more than others a but it's always there. I will say when I was teen I was never moody, I was always in a a good mood (well unless someone pissed me off ). I can say that now I have more emotions running through me than ever before and that I believe is because I’m going through a lot personally. Everyone has this preconceived notion that teens are the worst thing ever, forgetting that they was once a teen before, and that they are still that same person that they were when they were a teen, we all just transformed into a more mature teen if you ask me. I truly believe that media has a great deal to do with this stereotype as well which takes me back to the “Unlearning the myths that Bind Us” piece.  We all know that media is one of the main reason why we do what we do and believe what we believe. Unless we make a change a huge part of the world will continue to flow with the dominate ideologies, but now that I think about it, is it realistically possible? And if it is where do we start?   

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement about some people are still teens just in a mature way. Many people grow but still don't have an identity and they still make mistakes so why criticize teenagers when adults are living the same lifestyle as these teenagers. Teenagers are our future so why not help and guide them inside of bringing them down

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your blog fears have worked out. There is nice work here. Keep going and let me know if you need any future help.

    ReplyDelete