Sunday, April 21, 2013

TALKING POINT #11



I didn’t know where to start so I decided to look up “Teens talk back” into the Bing search box and I found that there were a lot of parent advising sites that help parents to control their children when they get out of hand. I find that very interesting because it gives parents pointers on how to deal with their annoying and disobedient teens etc.  I just don’t understand why everything has to be so negative when it comes to teens? I also noticed that a lot of sites are run by adults who are trying to spark up conversation within the teenage communities about dominant ideologies. But actually came across this website called teentalk.com which brings up different topics that teenagers go through and have teens talk on it. I think that this website/blog is a great opportunity for teens to really go in and express themselves and prove to the adults and everyone else that they are not annoying, disobedient, disrespectful and other negative things characteristics.  I love the fact that a teen got up the courage to start the blog, and start a youtube show that helps everyone see and understand how teens really are and also what they think about themselves. Although this is a great opportunity for teens to express themselves, this blog is not being utilized as much as it should, that is just a tab bit disappointing.  Another thing that is disappointing is out of all 10 pages that I looked at in the search I only seen about three sites that were ran by teenagers.  I feel like there should be more teens who is willing to take a stand and talk back. If we can get more teens to participate in this moment we wouldn't have all there stereotype of Teenagers. 
Question: What do you think the reason is for the non utilization of these teen blogs? 

4 comments:

  1. I noticed the same thing that many of the sites were run by the adults and not by the teenagers so it wasn't truly whatever the teens had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it's interesting that there are adults who want to try and communicate with teens. I guess that maybe that premise automatically stunts their ability to do so because it makes it seem like teens are aliens when they're not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the lack of usage for these particular blogs that establish a sense of community could be the very disconnect between community & collectivity in general... people don't hang out or communicate with people anymore we have been very individualized. It seems like we don't even have time for time anymore never mind speaking up on critical issues such as "teenagers" and the stigmas they are marked with due to western culture. I do however hope that one day we can all stand together young, young-adults, adults, older adults... and speak loud against these systems and to break the large spectrum of stereotypes and binaries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I agree that more teens should take the stand and talk back. To prove parents wrong. But Like Andrea said it is interesting that parents want to communicate with teens today. I think that is a great step in understanding where teens are coming from. When I become a parent I want my teen to come to me and talk to me about anything and everything. I want my children to not be afraid to ask me for advice in life. I think the main problem teens had with their parents was that their voice was never heard. Parents would reject the fact that teens have emotions and feelings too. But thankfully with websites like these, parents would take the time to speak with teens.

    ReplyDelete